The 1994 African Footballer of the Year claims he missed winning the FIFA World Player of the Year because he is an African.

Emmanuel Amuneke has revealed that he was denied of winning football most covetous award because he started his football career in Africa.

The 47-year-old who played for Barcelona from 1996-2000 made the statement during the unveiling of LaLiga Nigerian office in Lagos last weekend.

Amuneke, as quoted by Guardian.ng, “I usually tell some of my friends that if I had started my football career as a European player, maybe, I would have won the World Footballer of the year award.

“Unfortunately, I started from Nigeria and only God knows why.”

Spotkick reported last year that former South Africa and Blackburn Rovers forward claimed several African legends were snubbed for the FIFA World Player of the Year award because African players are not good for marketing.

McCarthy claimed that FIFA view African players as unmarketable – making the World Football Governing Body preferring European players for the award.

“We are not (African players) eye catching in Europe” Mcarthy, said. “We are players that they look past because they look for the more lucrative, worthy players that will sell more newspapers sell more magazines and be more of an attraction.

“If an African player wins it there is not a lot of attraction but, if Gareth Bale wins it, if Rooney wins it – it is World news, breaking news.

“Yaya Toure has been there but never been recognized, Didier Drogba has been there; never recognized, Samuel Eto’o has been there; never recognized, Jay Jay Okocha has been there; never recognized, Nwankwo Kanu … I could go on, the list can go on but we’ve not been recognized,” McCarthy concluded.

George Weah is the only African player to have won the FIFA Player of the Year Award.

The Liberian President achieved the feat in 1995 for his goal scoring and individual brilliance for both Paris Saint-German and AC Milan.

 

Published in Awa Football

Casillas: Ronaldinho made me to suffer

Sunday, 21 January 2018 16:58

Ronaldinho, last week announced his retirement from football and reminiscing the good-bad old days, Casillas revealed the former Brazilian midfielder made him to suffer.

The 37-year-old Brazilian brother and agent, Roberto Assis confirmed the retirement of the former Barca No. 10., who last played competitive football with Fluminese in 2015.

On Ronaldinho, Assis told O Globo, “He’s quit football, it is over.”

And with the duo of Casillas and Ronaldinho having squared up against each other from 2003-2008 with the former being the man behind the sticks for Real Madrid, and the latter being rival Barcelona key player within those periods, Casillas said his former rival made him to suffer.

Ronaldinho, who scored in four consecutive matches against Casillas between 2004/05 and 2005/06 season earned himself the standing ovation of the Real Madrid fans when he single handedly tore the Madrid’s Galacticos apart as he scored twice in a 3-0 win in 2005.

And sending a warm message to an old adversary aftermath the former Barcelona man’s decision to retire from active football, the porto goalkeeper wrote on Twitter, that though he was forced to suffer from Ronaldinho, he enjoyed watching him.

Casillas wrote, “I was forced to suffer at your hands but as a footballer I also enjoyed watching you.”

 


 

We know pretty well here at Spotkick.com.ng that there are still a lot out there harbouring their confessions; at the same time, we would like to thank Casillas for his bravery.

we watching the space as other goalkeepers that suffered from the legs, hands and even the wonderful smile of Ronaldo de Assis Moreirra gladly come out to confess the degree of the humilation suffered from the former Barcelona man.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Published in International Watch

The 120 million euros that Philippe Coutinho cost Barcelona has caused Josep Maria Bartomeu a serious problem because the money just isn't in the club coffers.

 

In a clearly inflated market, Bartomeu has shelled out 312m euros in transfers this season after the signings of the Brazilian, Dembele, Paulinho, Semedo, Deulofeu and Marlon, even though the latter finally went to Nice.

 

 

 

 

The gap between departures and arrivals is 26m euros, taking into account the sales of Neymar (222m), Tello (4m) and the 60m that was originally intended to be set aside by the club.

 

 

In the next few days, this figure may increase by 12m when Yerry Mina arrives, though this would be partially offset by the 10m that the club will receive for the sale of Mascherano.

 

The problem with the accounts is that they are not limited to spending on players. Items such as ticket sales and income from the museum have declined in recent months

 

Read Also: Only Lebron James can do what Messi does

 

The club is striving to find new sponsors, but it isn't easy, especially in a political climate as complicated as the one that is now being experienced in Catalonia.

 

Bartomeu, the head of finance after he sacked the economic vice president, will have to use accounting engineering to balance the accounts come June.

 

If the debt is not reduced to 200 million, and the forecasts say that it will exceed 300m, then the works of the new stadium can't be started.

 MARCA

 

Published in International Watch

Former Barcelona president Sandro Rosell remains in prison and the slow judicial process is a nightmare for his family, claims his lawyer Pau Molins.

Rosell was locked up on May 23, with his bank accounts frozen, leaving his family to rely on others.
 
"Six months in jail is a drama for families," Molins explained in an interview with RAC1 radio station.
 
"They have seized all of his accounts. His family is now living off the generosity of other families.
"If they did have to rely on themselves then they wouldn't have enough to buy anything to eat.
 
"They have even taken away the cars, which were in Rosell's name."
 
Rosell has applied for bail on three occasions, but has always been told he is too much of a flight risk, although Molins doesn't buy that argument.
 
"[Keeping him in prison] is wicked and is an abuse of the idea of prison being a preventative thing," he said.
 
"There are thousands of [other] ways to take away the freedom of someone who is thought to have committed a crime.
 
"They could put an ankle bracelet, take away his passport or oblige him to check in somewhere every fortnight."
 
 
Molins was also asked if there had been any visits to Rosell from Barcelona directors, but he said he wasn't sure.
 
(MARCA)
Published in International Watch

I tried to hit him in the chest with my arm and he just went underneath me and I thought to myself, this guy is a magician.

Rio Ferdinand has described Lionel Messi as a magician and believes Manchester United might have won the 2009 and 2011 Champions League finals if not for the five time Balon D’or winner.

Read Also: There's no Point Joining PSG at 25 - Cantona Blasts Neymar

Messi, who was the shortest man in the Rome final against Manchester United in 2009 scored a looping header past Van Der Sar – with Barcelona winning 2-0.  Two years later in Wembley, the Argentine skipper was also on target as his ‘magic’ according to Ferdinand, saw The Red Devils losing two Champions League finals to Barcelona in the space of three years.

Ferdinand faced Messi in the two finals and has identified him as the best players he has played against.

“He’s the best player I’ve ever played against,” Ferdinand, as quoted by Marca.

 “I tried to hit him in the chest with my arm and he just went underneath me and I thought to myself, this guy is a magician.

“In our dressing room, we all thought that without Messi, we would probably have won those games against Barcelona.”

The 455-capped Manchester United player on the debate on the Manchester United managers said he’d love to play under Jose Mourinho for protection but would go with Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola to enjoy football.

He added: As a defender, it would be Jose to protect me well. But to enjoy it, then it would be Pep.

Read Also: Pogba Return Proves Catalyst for United Sparkle: Premier League; The Weekend That Was

 

Published in International Watch

Barcelona 23-year-old midfielder, Denis Suarez has lamented his treatment at the Catalunya side – saying he always felt unwanted at the club.

The midfielder, who joined Barcelona in the summer of 2016 after Barcelona activated a €3.5m buy back clause in the deal that saw Suarez moved to Villareal the previous season said he’s undeterred by news surrounding his future.

According to the former Manchester City of England player, Barcelona is the Club for him to achieve his aim as a footballer as he’s not ready for a move away from the Camp Nou.

Suarez as quoted by Marca: “I do not want to leave, I’ve said that for a long time. I want to succeed here, I have rejected a proposal to leave and the rumours aren’t coming from me.

“I feel that whatever I do, am always on the market.

“I haven’t talked to anyone at the club about these matters. I haven’t asked my agent to put out there and I’ve never said I want to leave.”

Denis Suarez racked up just 26 appearances for Barcelona last season but Paulinho’s summer arrival this season has made starting belt more difficult for the 23-year-old – as he has been limited to just six appearances in all competition this season.

Published in International Watch