Olatosimi Fadahunsi

Olatosimi Fadahunsi

Cristiano Ronaldo raised some eyebrows in the Spanish capital when he spoke of how he is so pleased that Juventus feels like a family and Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos has hit back, saying that there is a family atmosphere at the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu as well.

Read Also

He should take care of his business, Sergio Ramos lambasts Klopp

The defender also went on to discuss the loss of the No.7 and what it means for Los Blancos.

"Here were have always felt like a family, so I don't know what he was talking about," Ramos said at a pre-UEFA Super Cup press conference in Tallinn.

"We have had lots of success, which is because we are a family and he was part of that family, which we have continued to have.

"It's obviously a negative when you lose a player like Cristiano Ronaldo, but we can continue to win and in Real Madrid's history many have come and gone, but Real Madrid continue to win.

"No one is above Real Madrid, whatever happens Real Madrid will continue to live on and it was his choice to leave.

The decisions are not mine to make, but the doors are always open to those that want to be part of Real Madrid.

"Losing Ronaldo was hard, but no player is above Real Madrid and we still have the hunger to improve and win more titles.

"The mindset we have is more important than any individuals in the team."

(MARCA)


Sergio Ramos takes swipes at Liverpool manager

The Real Madrid captain has told Jurgen Klopp to take due to a charge of his business, so as to be a top coach.

Sergio Ramos has said Klopp persistence criticisms of him over his challenge on Salah was to distract people from the fact that the Liverpool manager had lost many finals.

Ramos and Klopp turned enemy aftermath of the last Champions League finals, where the Spaniard dislocated Liverpool’s talisman Mohammed Salah’s shoulder.

It later emerged from video replays that the defender also hit goalkeeper Loris Karius with the post.

With the game ending 3-1 in favour of Real Madrid, Klopp, since then, had attacked the defender a couple of times – and at a press conference last week, the German said he would rather be a bad loser than win in Ramos’ fashion.

And ahead of Real Madrid’s UEFA Super Cup clash against Atletico Madrid in Estonia, the defender, at a press conference had some strong words for the former Borussia manager, who had lost six out of seven finals.

“I’m not going to talk any more about this issue, because there was too much coverage already, ”Ramos said. “You can respect the opinions of each person, but I already gave my opinion.”

“But again I did not want to grab (Mohammed Salah’s) arm. In fact, he grabbed me first.

“I think it was something that happened during the game, and I never intended to injure any fellow footballer.”

The Real Madrid captain said further: “Maybe he (Klopp) wants to justify himself after losing the final because it was not the first final he lost.

“He should take care of his own business and leave alone players like us, who have a lot of experience and showed a high level for such a long time. Let’s see if he can say the same as a coach. In fact, I have voted for him (as one of the best coaches).

“I did not take care much his opinions. He was one of the best coaches of the season, and I voted for him. Maybe that will keep him quite a little bit.”

 


Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) has given West African giants, Nigeria and Ghana seven days to settle their ongoing Federation brouhaha or risk a ban.

The world football governing body in a media statement, on Tuesday announced the decisions of Bureau of FIFA Council in relation to government influence in the affairs of both federations.

With Nigeria Female U-20 team currently participating at the ongoing Women’s U-20 World Cup, FIFA in the statement, said even if its hammer fall on the NFF, the team would be allowed to continue in the tournament.

The statement reads: “In line with art. 16 par. 1 of the FIFA statutes, the Bureau of the FIFA Council decided that if by Monday, 20 August 2018, at 12:00 (CET), the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) offices are not handed back to the legitimate NFF executive committee under President Amaju Melvin Pinnick, who was duly elected on 30 September 2014, the NFF will be suspended with immediate effect for contravening art. 14 par. 1i) and art. 19 as well as art 14 par 1a) of the FIFA statutes.

“The suspension would be lifted only once the NFF, under President Amaju Melvin Pinnick and General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi confirms that it has been given back effective control of the NFF and its offices.

“Furthermore, the Bureau decided that if the suspension of the NFF takes effect, the Nigerian team currently competing in the FIFA U-20 women’s World Cup France 2018 will still be allowed to continue to participate in the tournament on an exceptional basis given that the tournament is underway.

“In Ghana, it is noted that formal investigation proceedings are currently being carried out by the chairperson of the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee against Mr. Nyantakyi, who has been provisionally suspended by a decision taken by the Chairperson of the adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee. However, the Bureau of Council considers that the petition introduced by the Attorney General to High Court of Justice to start the liquidation process of the GFA constitutes undue influence in the affairs of the GFA contravention of art. 14 par. 1i) and art 19 par. 1 of the FIFA statutes.

“Under these circumstances the Bureau decided that if the petition to start the liquidation process of the GFA is not withdrawn by Monday, 27 August 27 2018 at 12:00 (CET), the GFA will be suspended with immediate effect. The suspension would be lifted once the above mentioned petition is withdrawn and FIFA is given written proof.


The 18-year-old midfielder has been one of the standout players for Arsenal in their pre-season matches 

Emile Smith Rowe has put pen to a long term contract at Arsenal after some incredible pre-season displays.

Smith Rowe, who turned 18 last week is one of the teenagers that are part of Unai Emery’s Singapore tour.

With a stunning strike against Atletico Madrid and an assist in the match against PSG, Smith Rowe has put himself in the frame for first team opportunities in the upcoming season.

Smith told Arsenal’s official website that it was a great feeling to sign for the North London giant.

“To be honest, it feels great for me,” He said.

“It’s something I’ve always dreamt of since I was young, so to sign a new contract with Arsenal... I’m so happy and it feels surreal at this moment.”

Emery, who gave the starlet a chance to showcase himself, on his part said: “I am pleased with Emile’s contribution so far this pre-season. He is working very hard and has lots of potential.

“I look forward to working with him and other young players and helping them to develop as Arsenal players.”

Emile Smith joined Arsenal at the age of 10 and made 11 appearances for the cluns under-23s last season, whilst being a regular for the under- 18s.

 

He was part of the England team that won U-17 World Cup in India, last year.


The Rome legend has joked that he would go to the airport to wear Messi the iconic Roma No. 10 jersey if the Barcelona man should join Roma.

With talks of retiring the No. 10 jersey he wore while playing for Roma up in the air, Francesco Totti had made it clear that he did not buy the idea.

According to the 41-year-old, many youngsters had the dream of donning the N0. 10 jersey, and he would not like to quench such dreams.

Though he had the mind of letting others take over the jersey, Totti revealed that it was not his shot to call.

"I always said no but it is a decision that the club has to take," Totti, as quoted by Marca.

"It is a dream of a lot of kids and youngsters to have the Roma number ten. I had the same dream and fortunately it came true.

"I would not like to take away the dream of a child but I also know that it is not easy to wear the Roma number ten shirt.

"We will see what happens and if we find another Totti, Messi or another we will think about it."

On Messi wearing the No 10. Jersey, he added, "I would go to the airport and put it on him."

Totti represented Roma for 25 years, making a total of 619 appearances, and scoring 250 goals for the Capital club.

 

 

 

 


Though El-Cholo would pick his countryman over Ronaldo, he still believes the Portuguese would fit well when surrounded with not too good players

 

The Atletico Madrid manager believes the new Juventus signing will fair better in a team of average players than his country man.

Simeone, who said he would pick Lionel Messi over Cristiano Ronaldo said the former would be a better fit in a team full of average players.

Clarifying a leaked WhatsApp comments made to Atletico assistant manager German Burgos, where he appeared to have latched Messi’s poor display in the Argentine 3-0 thumping in the hands of Croatia, and praising Ronaldo after scoring a hat-trick against Spain and the winner against Morocco to reporters, Simeone said “I’d always choose Messi, without a doubt.”

Ahead of Atletico’s pre-season friendly with PSG, Simeone, as quoted by AS told reporters, “when I said what I did about Messi and Ronaldo, I wasn’t talking about who is the best player in the world.

“I was saying that in a team of average players, Ronaldo would probably be a better fit.

“But, when surrounded by top players, Messi is the best in the world.”


Emery revealed the Brazilian was the kingmaker at PSG

 

The newly Arsenal manager has revealed that he had to adjust his style of management at PSG because Neymar was the boss.

The Spaniard spent two seasons at the Parc des Princes – the second was when Neymar moved to PSG in a deal worth €222.

The major highlight of the so many rancours the Brazilians caused at the club was taking penalty duties off PSG all-time scorer, Edinson Cavani.

Emery believes Neymar left Barcelona for PSG to occupy the boss’ role at the club because Messi occupied such position at Barcelona.

“I know when I’m the main man responsible, and when I’m not,” Emery, as quoted by Daily Mail.

“I’m of the opinion that PSG’s leader is Neymar. Or that he is currently becoming it.

“Neymar came to PSG to be the leader, to go through this process someday become the best in the World. At Manchester City, Pep is in charge. At PSG, Neymar has to be.”

script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">


Former Eagles goalkeeper, Segun Oguns claims collection of bribe is a trend in Nigerian football

 

In the wake of the bribery allegation scandal that has hit one of the Nigeria national team coaches, Segun Oguns, a former ex international has said he was not taken aback – as collection of bribes is a norm in all the Nigerian national teams.

In a video dated back to September 2017 and released by BBC Africa Eye last Tuesday, Salisu Yusuf, the Assistant Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria was caught on camera receiving cash worth N360,000 ($1000) from undercover journalists posing as football agents to field some players for a then upcoming CHAN tournament.

The coach was also caught on camera agreeing with the undercover journalists on collecting 15% of any transfer to Europe for those players.

Though Salisu had denied any wrongdoings – saying he collected the money only “as a gift of trivial and symbolic value not as an inducement to play the two players,” Oguns, a former goalkeeper of the Super Eagles said collection of money to field players was not something new in Nigeria.

Oguns, in an interview with Punch also alleged that some players were omitted from the Nigerian team to Russia because they could not offer much money.

“It didn’t come to me as shock; it’s a normal thing with all the Nigerian national teams today,” Oguns told Punch.

“Taking bribe and collecting money to field players is not new in the Nigerian teams fromu-13, U-15, U-17, U-20, U-23 to the Super Eagles that went to the 2018 World Cup.

“We are aware of allegations of people collecting money to take certain players to the World Cup. We know that we didn’t take our best legs to the World Cup. We know those who were not allowed to go to Russia because they didn’t offer money, the federation us aware. They know the coaches are taking money to field players.”

On Friday, the NFF, in a statement said preliminary investigations had started over the Yusuf’s bribery scandal.

Oguns, who partly blamed Amaju Pinnick for failing to stop the trend said nothing concrete would come out from the investigation.

“How he (Yusuf) got himself involved in this, I don’t know. He is a gentleman, but I don’t feel comfortable the way our national team has been made so cheap.

“He has to face the music.

“But I can assure you that nothing will happen. That’s how it’s been in the last few years,” he concluded.

 

 

 

 


Ikpeba: Yusuf’s bribery allegation will serve as lessons to lo local coaches

Salisu Yusuf bribery allegation scandal will be a lesson to Nigerian indigenous coaches, says Victor Ikpeba

Yusuf, the Nigerian national team Assistant Coach was caught on camera accepting cash for some players to make the cut to African Nations Cup (CHAN) that held earlier this year in Morocco.

The video footage was said to be shot by Ghanaian Journalist, Anas Aremayaw Anas, and made available to BBC Africa eye.

In the footage, Yusuf, who was said to be earning 3 million naira per month was seen collecting N360, 000 from the undercover journalists, who pretended as football agents.

Yusuf was further promised 15% of any deal should the players of the posed agents sealed a deal abroad after the CHAN tournament.

Ikpeba believes the bribery scandal will be a warning for other local coaches.

“I’m shocked with what happened to coach Salisu Yusuf. This should be a lesson to all our Indigenous coaches,” Ikpeba wrote on Twitter.

 

Meanwhile NFF’s Director of Communication in a statement obtained from CompleteSports have said that preliminary findings have started over the Yusuf’s alleged bribery scandal.

He said, “For now, the NFF has commenced preliminary investigation into the matter to assist the Committee on Ethics and Fairplay.”

 

 


Chelsea have made Jordan Pickford an alternative should Thibaut Courtois join Real Madrid.

Reports in England have it that talks between Chelsea and Courtois over a new deal has broken down, as the Belgian international is ready to run down his remaining one year contract at Stamford Bridge.

With a move to Santiago Bernabeu on the desk for the shot stopper, Chelsea, according to Sky news have identified Everton and England number one Jordan Pickford as a possible replacement for Courtois.

Pickford, who only signed for Everton last season, in a deal worth around £30m was phenomenon for England en-route to their fourth place finished at the World Cup.

Skysports reported, that though, Everton and Chelsea have not yet opened any formal discussion over Pickford, the Toffees are likely to rebuff any approach for their man.

 

Chelsea are reported to have identified the likes of Jack Butland, Kasper Schmeichel, Peter Cech and Gianluigi Donnarumma as other possible replacements. 


Page 1 of 25